Friday, August 4, 2017

A Riddle

Can you guess the answer to this riddle: 
     "I am a wondrous creature: to women a thing of joyful expectation, to close-lying companions serviceable. I harm no city-dweller excepting my slayer alone. My stem is erect and tall––I stand up in bed––and whiskery somewhere down below. Sometimes a countryman's quite comely daughter will venture, bumptious girl, to get a grip on me. She assaults my red self and seizes my head and clenches me in a cramped place. She will soon feel the effect of her encounter with me, this curl-locked woman who squeezes me. Her eye will be wet."
     It is not what you think might it is and it is something quite unexpected. This is a double-entendre.
     This is the 25th. riddle in the "Exter Book" of "Codex exoniensis" in the Exter Cathedral in England.  It may also interest you to know that the title of Shakespeare's "Much Ado About Nothing" is a pun on the Elizabethan use of "no-thing" which is a slang word.
     An example of a bawdy double-entendre is in the James Bond movie "Tomorrow Never Dies" where Moneypenny at a certain point of time points out that Bond is "a cunning linguist". It also comes across in the movie "The World is not Enough"  where James Bond tells Dr. Christmas Jones "I thought Christmas comes only once." The double-entendre is evident only if you see the situation when he tells her that.
     Bond movies have a lot of sexual innuendo in them.
     In music, you have this song with the title "If I Said You Had a Beautiful Body Would You Hold It Against Me"  by the Bellamy Brothers.

No comments:

Post a Comment