Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Some Chinese Proverbs

Some Chinese proverbs from my collection of odds and ends in one of my scrap books.

A thorn defends the rose, harming only those who would steal the blossom.

A single conversation with a wise man is worth a month's of study of books.

The one who pursues revenge should dig two graves.

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.

The journey is the reward.

In the midst of great joy, do not promise anyone anything. In the midst of great anger, do not answer anyone's letter.

Beauty is the wisdom of women. Wisdom is the beauty of men.

Quarrelling is like cutting water with a sword.

Respect for one's parents is the highest duty of civil life.

Insanity is doing the same thing in the same way and expecting a different outcome.

He who is not satisfied with himself will grow; he who is not sure of his own correctness will learn many things.

If a man fools me once, shame on him. If he fools me twice shame on me.

A clever person turns great troubles into little ones and little ones into none at all.

He who could foresee affairs three days in advance would be rich for thousands of years.

Clear conscience never fears midnight knocking.

When a man is crazy about a woman, only she can cure him.

If you bow at all, bow low.

No comments:

Post a Comment