Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Greatness Of A Coach

Some more odds and ends from my scrap book on "The Greatness Of A Coach".

Make sure that team members know they are working with you, not for you. A coach is someone who can give correction without causing resentment. - John Wooden

My responsibility is leadership, and the minute I get negative that is going to have an influence on my team. - Don Shula

You have no choices about how you lose, but you do have a choice about how you come back and prepare to win again. - Pat Riley

I learn teaching from teachers. I learn golf from golfers. I learn winning from coaches. - Henry Penick

A good coach will make his players see what they can be rather than what they are. - Ara Parasheghian

The secret to winning is constant consistent management. - Tom Landry

You get the best efforts from others not by lighting a fire beneath them, but by building a fire within. - Bob Nelson

Coaches have to watch for what they do not want to see and tlisten to what they don't want to hear. - John Madden

Overcoaching is the worst thing you can do to a player. - Dean Smith

Probably my best quality as a coach is that I ask a lot of challenging questions and let the person come up with the answers. - Phil Dixon

Leadership, like coaching, is fighting for the hearts and souls of men and getting them to believe in you. You can't coach people unless you love them. - Eddie Robinson

Habits are critical to players. They cannot think and play well at the same time. - Don Meyer

Coaching is nothing more than eliminating mistakes before you get fired. - Lou Holtz

Either love your players or get out of coaching. - Bobby Dodd

Coaches build teams. Parents build players. - Charles Smyth

Coaching does not permit democracy. - Jeff Brown

All coaching is taking a player where he can't take himself. - Bill McCartney

I never see to be amazed at the power of the coaching process... - John Russell

No comments:

Post a Comment