Tuesday, October 18, 2011

The Purpose of Life

Some more odds and ends (quotes) from my scrap book on the Purpose of life.

I am only one,
But still I am one.
I cannot do everything,
But still I can do something;
And because I cannot do everything
I will not refuse to do the something that I can do.
- Edward Everett Hale

Nothing contributes so much to tranquilizing the mind as a steady purpose; a point on which the soul may fix its intellectual eye. - Mary Wollstonecraft

That is happiness; to be dissolved into something completely great - Willa Cather

To forget one's purpose is the commonest form of stupidity - Friedrich Nietzsche

All men should strive to learn before they die, what they are running from, and to, and why. - James Thurber

I am here for a purpose and that purpose is to grow into a mountain and not to shrink to a grain of sand. Henceforth will I apply all my efforts to become the highest mountain of all and I will strain my potential until it cries for mercy - Og Mandino

You ask: What is the meaning and purpose of life? I can answer with another question: do you think we are wise enough to read God's mind? - Freeman Dyson

Many people have a wrong idea of what constitutes true happiness. It is not attained through self-gratification, but through fidelity to a worthy purpose - Helen Keller

Keep on beginning and failing. Each time you fail, start all over again, and you will grow stronger until you have accomplished a purpose - not the one you began with perhaps, but one you'll be glad to remember. - Anne Sullivan

Our minds are finite, and yet even in these circumstances of finitude we are surrounded by possibilities that are infinite, and the purpose of life is to grasp as much as we can out of that infinitude. - Alfred North Whitehead

Good luck is another name for tenacity of purpose - Ralph Waldo Emerson

No comments:

Post a Comment